Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 5 to 6 medium chicken breasts (about 2.5 pounds)
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. oregano
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 t. cumin
- 12 oz. salsa (I used fast, fresh salsa that I had previously frozen and defrosted for this recipe
- 1 t. tapioca flour (or corn starch or flour)
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, divided
- 10 to 12 corn tortillas
- B’s homemade guacamole (optional)
- On saute setting of Instant Pot, heat oil and cook onion until transluscent. Add garlic and stir to cook for 1 more minute.
- Add raw chicken, spices and salsa on top of cooked onion; stir to combine. Set Instant Pot to “manual”and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Manually release pressure.
- Remove chicken from sauce to a plate. Set Instant Pot to saute setting and stir tapioca flour into sauce. Allow to simmer and thicken for a few minutes.
- Shred chicken with a knife and fork (or in a Kitchen Aid mixer if you are in a hurry). In a large bowl, combine chicken with sour cream and 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Place about 1/4 cup enchilada sauce in bottom of 13 x 9 inch pan. Layer 5 to 6 tortillas over bottom of pan. Spread half of chicken mixture on tortillas. Layer remaining 5 to 6 tortillas and then remaining chicken mixture. Pour enchilada sauce evenly on top of all layers. (It will appear liquidy, but the tortillas will absorb the liquid during cooking.) Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
This is a filling, kid-friendly, gluten-free dinner that ensures leftovers. I like that I can make it ahead of time (a few hours or even the night before) and just heat it in the oven at dinnertime. I like to top it with a little of B’s homemade guacamole
and serve it with a simple salad
on the side. You could fill each corn tortilla and roll like classic enchiladas, but I prefer to layer it to keep it simple.