This is a hearty stew that is a real crowd-pleaser, which is good because it makes a ton! It freezes well though, so you can keep extra on hand throughout the winter.
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless
- 4 oz. bacon, chopped
- 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 t. red pepper (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 T. salt (or to taste)
- 28 oz. tomatoes, crushed
- 32 oz. lima beans, drained
- 33 oz. corn, drained
- 2 sticks salted butter
Chop potatoes; set aside. Chop onions, set aside. Combine spices in a small bowl.
Put chicken in a large stockpot. Cover with water and bring to a boil; cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken falls apart.
Add potatoes, onions and spices. Boil for 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes and boil for 5 minutes.
Add lima beans and corn and cook for 5 minutes.
Add butter and simmer for 30 minutes.