Yellow Squash Fritters (Gluten Free)
- 3 medium yellow squash grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt divided
- 2 whole green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour or tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- Place grated squash and 1 teaspoon salt in a colander and drain for about 20 minutes. Press squash to drain as much water as possible. Spoon squash to a clean, dry towel and squeeze to remove even more water.
- In a medium bowl, combine squash and 1/2 teaspoon salt, green onions, flours, pepper, eggs and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet. Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter at a time and release in skillet to form fritters; flatten slightly. Cook about 2 to 3 minutes on one side; flip and cook another 2 to 3 minutes or until nicely browned.
Serve these fritters with full-fat Greek yogurt and fresh chives. They make a great vegetarian main dish or a hearty vegetable side dish. They are also kid friendly and a great alternative for potato pancakes! If you are lucky enough to have any leftover fritters, try making Eggs Benedict with them, replacing the English muffin with a fritter or two.