If you know me by now, you know the Wandering RD only has time for EASY, REAL FOOD! (If you don’t know me, check out my recipes and you’ll learn a lot!) We all need convenience, but without the processed ingredients. So, you might need an Instant Pot! Then, this Instant Pot mushroom and spinach risotto meal is equal parts weeknight rescue and weekend retreat!
I love that it’s a one-pot meal, comes together quickly and contains all real food. My family loves that it tastes delicious and creamy! (And it’s gluten free!)
You can add the raw shrimp in at the last minute, or leave it out. We love it for the flavor and the boost of protein to this meal. Try it either way and let me know what YOU think!
Instant Pot Mushroom and Spinach Risotto (with Shrimp)
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 T. butter or olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 3/4 cup arborio rice
- 32 oz. chicken bone broth
- 1 cup mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 20 oz. shrimp, defrosted, peeled and deveined (optional)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 t. dried parsley
- 1/2 t. dried tarragon
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 6 oz. fresh baby spinach (pre-washed)
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute. When hot, melt butter. Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Stir in rice, mushrooms and chicken broth (or for extra flavor, you could use 1/2 cup white wine with 3 1/2 cups chicken broth). Seal Instant Pot and set to Manual, High Pressure for 10 minutes and then quickly release the pressure valve. Leave Instant Pot setting on warm.
- Stir in raw shrimp (if using), spinach, parmesan cheese and remaining seasonings. Continue stirring on warm to wilt spinach and cook shrimp thoroughly, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with a side salad.