Patriotic Roasted Vegetable "Flag"
Red, white and blue doesn't have to mean artificially colored sweet treats when you combine colorful natural foods and your imagination!
- 2 large eggplants, diced (with skin)
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 6 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 8-9 pearls fresh mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine diced eggplant with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and spread on a large jelly roll pan lined with a Silpat nonstick mat; sprinkle with salt.
- Arrange tomato slices on a second large jelly roll pan lined with a Silpat nonstick mat. Brush 1 tablespoon of olive oil evenly on tomato slices; sprinkle with salt.
- Combine chopped cauliflower with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and spread on a third large jelly roll pan lined with a Silpat nonstick mat. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place all three jelly roll pans into oven and roast for 15 minutes; stir and continue cooking 10-15 minutes more or until desired doneness/browning is achieved.
- Cool vegetables before assembling flag in a rectangular baking dish. Hint: an empty plastic berry container (with the sides cut down so they don't show) serves to hold the eggplant into a rectangular shape before dotting with mozzarella pearl "stars".