Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Meatballs in Sauce (and Zoodles)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 28-ounce cans peeled whole tomatoes, puréed in blender I like Cento or Pomi brands
- 1 teaspoon oregano divided
- 2 dried bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste 1 t. salt
- 2 pounds ground beef grass fed, preferably
- 1 cup ground whole oats or almond flour I prefer almond flour
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 16-ounce package uncooked spaghetti or 6 zucchini for zoodles (4-6 servings)
For the Sauce:
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook the onion until lightly brown.
Mix in 2 cloves garlic, and cook 1 minute.
Stir in tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of oregano, and bay leaves.
Season with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Pour in slow cooker and set to low while preparing meatballs.
For the Meatballs
In a bowl, mix the ground beef, almond flour or oats, oregano, garlic, parsley, eggs, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Roll into 1-inch balls (I use a large scoop from Pampered Chef) and drop into the sauce.
Cook meatballs on low until done, about 6 to 7 hours. (My slow cooker always cooks faster than recipes suggest; it took 5 hours.)
For the Zoodles:
About 20 minutes before dinner, put zucchini through spiralizer. Cut long strands into shorter 10-in pieces, roughly. Saute (in batches if necessary) in 1 T. Olive oil and a little salt for about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain in colander, patting with paper towels (it can be watery.) Serve the meatballs and sauce over the zoodles (or serve over spaghetti or as meatball subs on rolls, if you prefer).
- This meal is even easier if you use your favorite no-sugar prepared tomato sauce (I like Rao's).
- You could also purchase fresh, pre-cut zucchini noodles. Or you could prepare the zucchini noodles in advance, even the night before, and cook for 5 minutes just before dinner.
- The meatballs freeze well in the sauce if you have leftovers.
- If you want to make these in an Instant Pot, select manual, high pressure, and cook for 10 minutes. Keep on warm until ready to eat (2 to 3 hours). So quick!