Instant Pot Indian-Style Curry with Cauliflower and Chicken (or Chick Peas)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more to taste, if needed
- 2 medium onions red or yellow
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 26 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 head fresh cauliflower rinsed and chopped into florets
- 2 cans chick peas drained and rinsed OR 2 large chicken breasts, raw
- 1 t. garam masala or more to taste
- 1 small handful of cilantro chopped
- cayenne pepper to taste, optional
In a food processor or chopper, combine onions, garlic and ginger and chop until very fine.
Heat Instant Pot on saute setting. When hot, add olive oil and cumin seeds and turmeric. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring, until cumin seeds crackle.
Add chopped onion mixture, salt and bay leaves to Instant Pot. Cook 5 minutes until onions are soft and they are no longer watery (it will look more oily).
Add tomatoes, cauliflower, garam masala and cilantro. Stir mixure. If using chicken, place whole, raw chicken breasts on top of other ingredients. (I like using chicken for a lower carb version, but you can use both, or one or the other).
Close Instant Pot and set on Manual, High Pressure for 12 minutes, then NPR (natural pressure release) for 15 minutes.
If using chicken, remove breasts to check doneness and shred; return to curry and stir. If using chick peas, stir in chick peas and serve when warmed through.
There are not many things I can eat day after day, but this is one dish I can. There's something about the strong, melded flavors that make me happy to eat it for lunch until it's gone! This curry is delicious served--as is--in a bowl, or feel free to serve it over brown rice with a simple side salad.