Instant Pot Indian-Style Curry with Cauliflower and Chicken (or Chick Peas)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more to taste, if needed
- 2 medium onions red or yellow
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 26 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 head fresh cauliflower rinsed and chopped into florets
- 2 cans chick peas drained and rinsed OR 2 large chicken breasts, raw
- 1 t. garam masala or more to taste
- 1 small handful of cilantro chopped
- cayenne pepper to taste, optional
- In a food processor or chopper, combine onions, garlic and ginger and chop until very fine.
- Heat Instant Pot on saute setting. When hot, add olive oil and cumin seeds and turmeric. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring, until cumin seeds crackle.
- Add chopped onion mixture, salt and bay leaves to Instant Pot. Cook 5 minutes until onions are soft and they are no longer watery (it will look more oily).
- Add tomatoes, cauliflower, garam masala and cilantro. Stir mixure. If using chicken, place whole, raw chicken breasts on top of other ingredients. (I like using chicken for a lower carb version, but you can use both, or one or the other).
- Close Instant Pot and set on Manual, High Pressure for 12 minutes, then NPR (natural pressure release) for 15 minutes.
- If using chicken, remove breasts to check doneness and shred; return to curry and stir. If using chick peas, stir in chick peas and serve when warmed through.
There are not many things I can eat day after day, but this is one dish I can. There's something about the strong, melded flavors that make me happy to eat it for lunch until it's gone! This curry is delicious served--as is--in a bowl, or feel free to serve it over brown rice with a simple side salad.