Grilled Vegetable Caponata
- olive oil
- 3 zucchini
- 3 yellow squash
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 peppers (I like to use red and yellow for color)
- 3 portabella mushrooms
- 1 head of garlic
- 1/2 jar tomato sauce (I love Rao’s marinara)
- 1/2 jar of capers, drained
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- Cut each squash in half lengthwise.
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into about 4 thick slices.
- Cut onion into 4 thick slices. Use a skewer to keep layers together for grilling.
- Cut each pepper in half.
- Brush or spray each vegetable with olive oil on both sides. Salt as desired.
- Peel all garlic cloves. Place on foil and add a little olive oil. Pinch tops of foil closed to make a pouch to grill.
- Grill vegetables and garlic pouch on medium heat for about 10 minutes; flip and cook an additional 10 minutes or until cooked but still firm.
- Let cool. Chop all vegetables into bite-size pieces. Add 1/2 jar of marinara sauce, capers and olives; stir. Serve at room temperature.
This is a delicious side dish, or vegetable main dish with a few fresh mozzarella balls added on top for some protein. This recipe makes a lot, so be prepared for leftovers. It’s also a great portable food to bring a healthy meal or snack with you; use a mason jar or your favorite container.