Chicken Pot Pie
This gluten-free homemade version of chicken pot pie is comfort food at its best!
- 3 large carrots diced and steamed (about 1 cup)
- 1 head broccoli chopped and steamed (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour or all-purpose flour if desired
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 4 cups chicken cooked
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 9-inch single pie crust I like this gluten-free crust
- Steam carrots and broccoli in a microwavable bowl with some water for about 5 minutes, or until slightly tender. Drain; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour and cook for 1 or 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and milk, stirring until thickened.
- Add steamed vegetables, cooked chicken, cheese, and salt into saucepan. Stir to mix well.
- Pour pot pie mixture into a round pie dish. Top with crust. Fold edges under and press edges with your finger tips to form sealed-crust appearance (since only one crust is used). Cut vents in top crust of chicken pot pie.
- Bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes until crust is golden brown.
This recipe is adapted from a recipe that my good friend, Kathy, brought over after my second daughter was born. I added more veggies and cooked chicken, eliminated the canned soup, and prefer only one crust. If you don't need the gluten free crust, you can use prepared crust. Or another option to keep it gluten free is to top the pie with mashed potatoes. This recipe can easily be doubled for a party and served in a 13 X 9 inch pan with double crust on top. For easy holiday fun, you can try making a design with your vents in the crust, such as a jack-o-lantern, fall leaves, or a Christmas tree.