I love a good slow cooker meal–with the emphasis on GOOD. I’m very picky about the meals I make in my slow cooker because they often don’t wow my socks off. So when I score one that’s made with real food, tastes great, is well received, AND freezes well, I keep it in the meal planning rotation! These burrito bowls are one of my family’s go-to meals. Let me know what you think if you try it!
Chicken Burrito Bowls (Slow Cooker)
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts (or 4 split breasts with bones gives the best flavor)
- 26 oz. diced tomatoes (I prefer Pomi brand)
- 15 oz. black beans (organic if possible), drained
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 1/2 t. cumin
- 2 t. salt
- 1 cup brown rice (added later)
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- chopped avocado or guacamole
- Place chicken breasts into large (6 quart) slow cooker. (Split chicken breasts provide more flavor and liquid than boneless; you may need to add a small amount of chicken broth if you use boneless.) Pour tomatoes, spices and beans (I prefer organic beans, which have salt instead of other preservatives) over chicken. Cook on low 3 to 4 hours.
- Add brown rice, stir and cook another 3 hours on low, or until chicken and rice is done. (If you won’t be home until mealtime, cook rice separately and then add to chicken mixture before serving.)
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and allow to cook to touch. Remove bones and discard. Shred meat and return to slow cooker. Stir into rice mixture.