Butternut Squash Gratin
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 1/2 t. grated nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium frying pan; saute chopped onion until browned and transparent. Add cream and remaining spices including bay leaves to onion. Simmer on low, stirring occasionally while preparing butternut squash.
- Peel squash. Cut into about 4 pieces and slice into 3/16″ (4.5 mm) slices using a mandolin.
- Layer squash in 13 x 9 inch pan, sprinkling with parmesan cheese in between layers. Reserve some parmesan for the top layer.
- Remove bay leaves from cream, and pour over squash layers. Top with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from oven to cover with foil. Return to oven for additional 30 minutes or until butternut squash is soft when pierced with a fork. Let sit 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
This meal can be a filling meatless main dish, or you can enjoy it as a hearty side dish. Children may ask for seconds, but it also typically provides leftovers, which make for a fancy lunch or an easy leftover meal.