Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Stew (Slow Cooker)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 32 oz. chicken bone or vegetable broth
- 6 to 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup of fresh spinach or kale leaves (optional)
- sour cream or whole milk Greek yogurt (optional)
- In a slow cooker, combine butternut squash, carrots, onions, red lentils, and seasonings, and broth (and add chicken if you are using it). Turn to low and cook for about 8 hours.
- Stew will appear watery; add cilantro and stir well. Check for additional seasoning if necessary.
- Ladle into bowls and top with several fresh spinach leaves and a dollop of sour cream or yogurt, if desired.
This stew is fantastic as a hearty vegetarian entree, or is also delicious with the addition of about 2 pounds of boneless, skinless, chicken thighs. Either way, top with a dollop of sour cream or whole milk Greek yogurt and serve with a simple salad on the side.