B's "Gonna Get Through This" Chili
My husband B likes things spicy! He’s famous for telling everyone, “It’s not that spicy!” But we all know it’s relative. We like to serve this with shredded cheese, sour cream (the kids add a lot to cut the spiciness) and tortilla chips. The recipe makes a lot, but it freezes well if you don’t have a crowd to feed!
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and diced
- 4 lbs. ground beef or turkey
- 7 large bell pepers (2 red, 2 yellow, 3 orange)
- 1 large jalapeno, minced with seeds
- 3 14 oz. cans beans (2 pinto, 1 kidney)
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 1/2 T. cumin
- 2 t. paprika
- 1 1/2 t. cayenne red pepper (or to taste)
- 2 t. oregano
- 2 t. salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Sautee onions in olive oil until translucent and beginning to brown. Add ground meat and cook until browned.
- Add peppers, beans, and spices. Simmer on low, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes or more (the longer the better).
- About a half hour before complete, add the chopped tomatoes and simmer until done.
Early on in our marriage, we invited friends over for chili. One of them looked a little uncomfortable while eating the chili and when we asked him if it was too spicy, he replied, “No, it’s good, I’m gonna get through this!” And so he did...and so we've learned to tone down the spice as needed.