Almond Flour Gluten Free Belgian Waffles
My kids affectionately call these "healthy waffles"! They are satisfying and delicious and I like that they do not contain refined grains or a lot of sugar. They also reheat well (thaw in microwave and then crisp in toaster).
- 6 large egg whites, whipped separately
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (whole milk)
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 2 t. vinegar
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 t. real vanilla extract
- 2 t. stevia (or substitute maple syrup)
- 8 T. butter or coconut oil
- Preheat Belgian waffle iron.
- Separate egg yolks (into medium bowl) and egg whites (into stand mixer bowl).
- Combine egg yolks with milk and whisk. Add almond flour, baking soda, vinegar and salt; stir well. Add melted butter or coconut oil, vanilla and sweetener; mix well.
- In a stand mixer, whisk egg whites about 2 minutes, until they form stiff peaks. Fold whipped egg whites into waffle batter carefully.
- Grease heated waffle iron with melted coconut oil. Pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup batter into waffle iron (more or less depending on your waffle iron) and close the lid gently. Set timer for 2 minutes or cook until golden brown. (Makes about 4 to 5 large waffles.)
One serving is approximately one half of a waffle (2 quarters) and contains about 3 grams of carbohydrates.