Hearty Baked Beans
Baked beans are a classic American food! This version is so hearty it could be a main course!
- 1/2 lb. ground beef browned
- 10 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans drained
- 1 15-ounce can butter beans drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans drained
- 1 cup homemade barbecue sauce
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- salt to taste
Brown ground beef in a skillet. Remove ground beef to a 13x9 inch baking pan.
While ground beef is cooking, microwave bacon slices on a paper-towel lined plate for 1 minute or until done; cool and crumble. Add to meat in baking pan. Add drained beans and other ingredients to baking pan. Stir well.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes; stir and cover with foil for remaining 15 minutes. Turn off oven and keep beans covered with foil in oven until ready to serve.
These baked beans accompany any traditional American barbecue fare. We don't make them often because they are a little sweet, but I feel better making these as opposed to buying the canned kind and knowing what's in them!