Fall Harvest Salad
- 4 cups salad greens
- 1/4 acorn squash, roasted and diced (approximately 1 cup diced)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced and carmelized
- 2 small ripe pears, diced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup microgreens
- 2 T. dried cranberries
- 2 T. toasted walnuts
3 T. olive oil 2 t. apple cider vinegar 1-2 T. honey (optional, to taste) 1/4 t. salt 1/8 t. black pepper
- Cut an acorn squash in half. Brush with olive oil. Roast at 400 for 30 minutes, or until tender but firm. Set aside to cool before dicing.
- While squash is cooking, saute red onion in a cast iron skillet on med-high heat with a little olive oil for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until carmelized. Set aside to cool.
- Add salad greens to serving bowl or platter. Add ingredients in rows, from right to left, starting with microgreens, cranberries, squash, feta cheese, carmelized onions, and pears (add just before serving to prevent browning).
- In an 8-oz. mason jar with a lid, add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey (if using), salt and pepper. Shake well to mix just before serving. Pour dressing over layered salad. Toss and serve.
Leftover roasted squash makes this salad come together even quicker. Feel free to add rotisserie chicken for a complete, light meal on a warm, fall evening.