Birthday Lava Cakes (Gluten free)
These gluten-free lava cakes are rich and decadent, yet perfectly portioned to fit into any real-food, lower carb lifestyle!
- 6 ounces dark chocolate 60-72% cacao
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil plus 1 T extra for greasing muffin tin
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons coconut flour
- 4 teaspoons cocoa powder Hershey's 100% cacao
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 6-muffin disposable pan (see note below if using ramekins) with melted coconut oil. Dust with cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate and coconut oil on low in microwave. Stir until smooth and let cool.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, mix eggs, vanilla, salt and honey until light and foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Pour egg mixture into chocolate, and add coconut flour and cocoa powder; fold together. Pour batter into prepared muffin tin (fill each cup 2/3 full).
- Place muffin tin on a baking sheet and place in oven. Bake for 6-7 minutes. Do not over cook or you will have brownies (which is not necessarily a bad thing!) Cut apart disposable muffin tin to flip and remove easily onto a plate. Serve warm.
We like to eat 85% cacao chocolate, but it is VERY rich (more bitter) if you use very dark chocolate in this; we prefer 72%, which is plenty rich, but less bitter. You can use small ramekins, but I prefer the disposable muffin tin so it's easy to cut them out while hot without breaking them apart. Since we generally have this only a couple times a year, we like it topped with fresh whipped cream or a little vanilla ice cream (choose one with fewer than 5 ingredients.)